Cold sores can be not only painful but embarrassing! You start to feel that tingle, then BAM it is on, and that small blister that appears on your lip turns into a world of pain. A cold sore usually hangs around for 7-10 days but using the right products can support the skin against infection and getting that “crusty” painful layer of skin.
How do you get cold sores?
Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus. They’re very common among New Zealanders as they are highly contagious and can easily spread from person to person. If someone has this virus it can spread
If someone has this virus it can spread through sharing lipstick, water bottles, or even kissing.
Once you have the cold sore virus it can remain dormant in your system until it is triggered and you begin to show symptoms.
What things might trigger this virus to become active?
Colds, flu, sunburn, windburn, allergies and being run down.
What are Cold Sore symptoms?
- Tingling – Pain, itching or tingling of the lip
- Blistering – A small, painful red raised area on the lip that becomes a blister
- Weeping – Blisters which then ooze, break and form a crust
- Scabbing – The crust can break and bleed during the healing process
How do I treat it?
There are a number of cold sore treatment products available from your pharmacy:
- Creams such as Zovirax, Vectavir, Viraban, Virasolve, Viratac
- Coldsore Patches Such as Compeed Coldsore Patches
- Immune System Support Vitamins – Nutra Life Lysine, Thompsons Lysine, Sanderson Lip FX, Go Healthy Go Lysine
- Ointments – Betadine Antiseptic Ointment.
The earlier you start treatment the better!