Laxatives are consumed by people who suffer from constipation to help ease bowel movements. On this page, we offer a wide selection of laxative products, ranging from medicines to natural or homeopathic preparations, so you can choose the best product to suit your needs. What is constipation? Causes Symptoms Treatment Types of laxatives
Prices are Inclusive of GST (sales Tax).
Prices are Inclusive of GST (sales Tax).
Page updated 21/01/17 6:41:27 a.m.
BLACKMORES PERITONE TABLETS 60
$13.80 $15.50 in stock
Supports and stimulates peristalsis, the natural wave-like contraction of the bowel muscle Promotes evacuation of the bowels, and helps relieve constipation. Gentle with no side effects.534250
FLEET PHOSPHATE ENEMA 133ML PACK 20 WS
$100.00 in stock
- Provides relief for occasional constipation .
- Cleanses the bowels .
- Provides a soft stool mass and increased bowel action .
- Bowel movement should be stimulated in 1 to 5 minutes
PHLOE POWDER DRINK SACHETS 15S
$20.04 $20.99 in stock
- Triple action relief from constipation
- Helps facilitate gentle and regular bowel movement
- Supports relief from bloating, flatulence and other forms of digestive discomfort.
- All-natural derived from NZ green kiwifruit.
GLYCEROL SUPPOSITORIES 3 6GM 20 PSM
$12.45 $13.99 in stock
Glycerol Suppositories offers a fast, effective yet gentle way to relieve occasional constipation. It acts within 15 to 60 minutes upon taking.778338
COLOXYL AND SENNA TABLETS 30
$7.99 in stock
- Assists you when you are suffering from constipation .
- Provides the stimulant (senna) to encourage the return of normal bowel movement .
- Contains a stool softener (docusate sodium) to help ensure your comfort and well-being .
- Provides relief the next morning
NORMACOL GRANULES PLUS 500GM
$32.03 $35.99 in stock
- This is a natural fibre supplement .
- Designed to provide bulk in the bowel .
- Has Sterculia with Frangula Bark .
- Avoids the feeling of fullness or bloating
BONVIT PSYLLIUM FIBRE CAPSULES 100 PERCENT NATURAL FIBER 110 CAPSULES
$24.99 in stock
- Provides a healthy and natural source of fibre
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Helps provide gentle relief from constipation
BENEFIBER POWDER 155GM1
Average rating:BENEFIBER POWDER 155GM
$20.99 in stock
- Non-thickening natural fiber powder .
- Sugar-free .
- Taste-free .
- Great for cooking .
- Dissolves completely in beverages┼ and soft foods
COLOXYL WITH SENNA TABLETS 90
$13.34 in stock
Coloxyl with Senna tablet assists those who suffer from constipation. It contains two active ingredients Senna, a gentle stimulant to encourage the return of normal movement, and Docusate Sodium, a stool softener that helps ensure your comfort.616249
- The most common causes of constipation are:
- Lack of fibre in the diet. Foods rich in fibre includes fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Lack of physical activity or exercise. Being physically active increases metabolism and therefore aids in digestion, which prevents constipation.
- Some drugs like antidepressants, narcotic pain drugs, some anticonvulsants, calcium channel blocking drugs and aluminum containing antacids and diuretics.
- Milk can also cause constipation in some people.
- Not going to the toilet when you feel the urge.
- Lack of water or dehydration
- Other times a person might be prone to constipation:
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
- When travelling
- Abusive use of laxatives
- Some diseases or medical conditions
- Some of the tell tale signs that you may be suffering from constipation are:
- You have fewer bowel movements than usual.
- You strain when moving your bowel.
- You have hard or small stools.
- You feel that there is still something left and not everything was released.
- You experience abdominal pain or bloated abdomen.
- In most cases, constipation resolves itself without causing serious health threats. However, in cases when there is recurring constipation, it is best to evaluate your condition. You can take the following steps to help resolve constipation:
- Lifestyle change - eat a healthier diet which includes fibre foods, drink plenty of water, and be active.
- Take laxatives in moderation.
- Consult with your doctor and find out what could be the underlying illness causing constipation.
Bulk producing agents - these are compounds that work on the small and large intestines. These work between 12 to 72 hours and make the stool become bulkier and retain more water. Examples of this are: psyllium husk, methylcellulose, dietary fiber and polycarbophil.
Stool softeners or surfactants - Like the bulking agents, these also work between 12 to 72 hours. These cause fats and water to penetrate the stool to help it move more easily through the digestive system. These lose their efficacy when used for a long period of time so will only take effect in people with occasional constipation. Example: Ducosate
Lubricants or emollients - Working in the colon and usually taking from 6 to 8 hours, these make the stool slippery so it can move down the intestine faster and easier. Example: mineral oil
Hydrating agents or osmotics - these help by making the intestine hydrated by concentrating the water within. This then leads to softening of the stool.
Stimulants - work in the colon by stimulating the wave of contractions that pass along the colon. This in effect propels the stools along. Examples are: Dulcolax, Senna, Aloin, Bisocodyl Suppository.
Castor Oil - works directly in the small intestine on the mucosa in the intestines. This alters the water and electrolyte secretion. Page updated 21/01/17 6:41:28 a.m.